Did you know that 70 million individuals worldwide have autism? Autism is one of the more underratedly difficult disorders that both children and adults struggle with. To help raise awareness, we’ve put together a list of 10 fast facts you probably didn’t know about this disorder that affects so many.
1. Autism is a bio-neurological developmental disability that generally appears before the age of 3.
2. Autism now affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys.
3. Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average.
4. Autism is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders in the U.S.
5. The rate of autism has steadily grown over the last twenty years.
6. While autism itself does not affect life expectancy, research has shown that the mortality risk among individuals with autism is twice as high as the general population. This is in large part due to drowning and other accidents.
7. Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism.
8. In 2007, the United Nations Declared April 2nd as World Autism Awareness Day.
9. There is currently no medical test to detect autism or a cure for it.
10. 90% of adults with autism are unemployed or underemployed.
Spectrum Strategies is focused on training young adults on the Autism Spectrum to accomplish life and career goals, no matter how big or small. Founder of Spectrum Strategies and professional coach Debra Solomon believes that through determination and commitment, every client has the ability to live life to the fullest potential.